Combo lifts are the great equalizers for your abdominals. All it takes are a few high-powered moves like these, as demonstrated by IFBB bikini pro Jessica Paxson, to create full-body tension and burn stubborn fat.
Translation: Here’s the beauty dynamite you need to sculpt a covet-worthy core.
Side Lunge with Lateral Raise
Works: Shoulders, Core, Legs
- Stand with feet together holding a 3- to 7-pound dumbbell in your right hand.
- Perform a side lunge to your left, bringing the dumbbell to the inside arch of your left foot.
- Then push laterally back to standing and lift your left leg until your knee is at 90 degrees. Simultaneously raise dumbbell out to your right with a straight arm, lifting arm parallel to floor. Perform 2 sets of 15 repetitions.
Bosu Squat Jump and Hold
Works: Core, Legs
- Stand on a Bosu ball, flat-side down, with feet about eight inches apart. Squat down until your thighs are at least parallel to the floor and extend arms out in front. Hold for 10 seconds.
- Jump up, pressing your arms to your sides, then land in a squat position, arms forward, and hold. Repeat for 2 sets of 15 reps.
Single-Leg Shoulder Press with Leg Extension
Works: Shoulders, Core, Quads
• Stand on your left leg with a 10-pound dumbbell in each hand. Raise your arms to head height and bend your elbows 90 degrees. Elevate your right leg in front, knee bent 90 degrees.
• Press upward and simultaneously extend your right leg forward. Return to start, core engaged. Do 2 sets of 12 reps on each leg.
Bosu Single-Arm Chest Press with Leg Lift
Works: Chest, Abs
• Holding a dumbbell in your right hand, lie back on a Bosu ball—flat-side down, with your tailbone just short of the top—until your torso is almost parallel to the floor. With your right knee bent 90 degrees, straighten and raise your left leg off of the floor.
• Simultaneously perform a right-arm chest press and lift your left leg 45 degrees from the floor, crunching upward at the top of the move to engage your abs. Return to start, descending your right arm and left leg parallel to the floor while keeping your nonmoving arm on the side of the Bosu. Do 2 sets of 15–20 reps.
Double Bosu Incline Pushup
Works: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps, Core
• With one Bosu on the floor, flat-side down, set another Bosu on top of it, round-side down. Assume an incline pushup position with feet hip width.
• Descend into a pushup under control, then return to start. Perform 2 sets of 12 pushups. Advanced: Perform on one leg.
Single-Leg Medicine Ball Deadlift
Works: Glutes, Hamstrings, Lower Back, Core
• Stand on your right leg holding a 10-pound medicine ball, with your left leg straight and lifted slightly behind you.
• Keeping your right knee “soft,” lower med ball to ankle height and lift your left leg until it’s parallel to the floor. Return to start, until med ball is at mid-thigh and your right toe is behind your left heel. Repeat for 2 sets of 12 reps on each leg.
Bosu Cable Row from Plank
Works: Core, Back
• Assume the plank position with your right hand on a Bosu and your feet on the floor, slightly wider than your hips. Reach forward and grab a low-pulley cable with your left hand.
• Keeping your back flat and core engaged, do a lefthanded cable row until your fist is under your shoulder. Do 2 sets of 20 slow reps using light to moderate weight. Via muscleandfitness.com